It is hard to find a place that offers all for a trip: a busy tourist Centre, beachfront serenity, and rustic rural settings- But Hoi An does. It is the reason why Hoi An is always on the must-see list of all travellers. However, where to stay in Hoi An: In the old town, in the countryside or in the beach is the million question! Knowing very well that most visitors only have 2-4 days in this UNESCO World Heritage Site, so deep understanding about this area plays a key factor in making hotel decision
Background information about hotels in Hoi An
Accommodation is one of important factor making Hoi An become winner of the list best city in the world. Most hotel in Hoi An offer the large room, big window, swimming pool or even some special complimentary service like cycling or cooking class with so much cheap price compare with hotels in other city: Hanoi or Ho Chi Minh. Generally, Hoi An is devided into three keys area: Hoi An’s Old Town, the nearby beaches, and the surrounding countryside. If you have unlimited amount of time, it would be good to stay in all these three areas, because all of them are perfect. But if you have to make decision which one stay, we will provide all information
In general, no matter which area you stay, you also can enjoy all Hoi An because the distance from the Old Town to the beach is only 10 minutes by taxi, and the quite countryside is in between. Additionally, there is a range of accommodation types in each area that suit all options: family, honeymooner, backpacker, luxury, and budget.
Staying in the Old Town
In reality, there is no hotel located in the area of Hoi An Old Town, however, choosing the one nearby with some minutes walking to the Centre of Hoi An is an ideal.
Why choosing the hotel in Old Town?
Hoi An is well-know with its charming, yellow-walled ancient town, this old world port attracts thousands of visitors per day. If you are the fan of architecture, history, tradition, food and shopping, as well as this is your first time in Hoi An- so a hotel located in the edge of Hoi An is your best choice
- Staying on the edges of the town means you will not need the taxis, just passing the short bridge then you are in the Old Town
- Experience the real life of Hoi An all time of the day. You can come to Hoi An Central Market to watch city come to life, slowly walk to old houses, museums, or any famous destination to understand their history and architecture, see the lanterns light up in the evening and overlook the Thu Bon river before wander back to your hotel. Because the location allows you to maximise your holiday time
- When you stay close to the old town, food choices are endless, you can try the cuisine multiple times perday, right at your fingertips
- You will be spoiled with shopping, you can stop at any shop, buy as much as you can then bring them back to the hotel to free your arm, then back shopping again
If choosing the hotels located in the old town, you will have less time to relax on the beach or enjoy the Vietnam countryside landscape, however, the Old Town always attracts people who interested in discovery, activity especially in the winter time when beach relaxation is of less interesting
Some tips to make your choice is more perfect
In the time of high reason ( December), Hoi An may be overload by tourists, so if you looking for a more relax vibe, the hotel in the old town is not for you. Additionally, most hotels in this area are under the risk of flooding in the rain season ( from Oct to Dec), so please consider if you would like to stay at the riverfront hotel
Some high recommended hotels located in the old town
Staying near the beach
If you love beaches and that’s your thing, you can certainly make your Hoian stay into a beach vacation
Why choosing beach accommodation in Hoian?
- Beaches has blessed with so much beauty, wake up to the sound of the ocean and seeing the sun’s reflection in the water, means you can get your sunrise experience be special one, leaving behind the hustle of the Old Town.
- If your visit is during the hotter months (June to August), having a sea breeze is so easily accessible to have cooler temperatures in comparison with stay in town.
The majority of the large luxury resorts are here at the beach, and there are some fantastic outdoor beachside venues with stunning sea views.
- The coastline is dotted with local seafood restaurants where you can eat fresh seafood caught right from the nearby ocean. Drinking tropical fruit smoothies, reading a book in a sun lounger, having a massage in your hotel spa and then dancing barefoot in the sand to live music from the many outdoor bars and restaurants. These are all the key ingredients for ultimate relaxation at the beach.
Some real negatives of staying near the beach
- February to July are the best times for the beach, outside of this, you may be best advised to choose the town. With only five kilometers separated from town, the beach is close, but it is not a particularly pleasant walk. Resorts know this and offer free regular shuttles, or bicycle rental for guests, so getting to/from the town is easy enough but certainly not as convenient as just staying in town.
- Another consideration, is that there are limited restaurant options by beach resorts (although some have great on-site restaurants), but the town itself is filled with inexpensive dining.
- If you are the kind of traveler who is looking for a more authentic vibe we would not suggest staying at the beach, it has all the westerner’s amenities, but a lack of Vietnamese flair and culture.
Stay in the rural area of Hoi An
Why choosing the accommodation in the countryside area?
- Laid-back and tranquil
This area is for laid- back travellers would like to spend time in tranquil accommodation. You will not be annoyed at noisy vehicle, bulk of tourists, just immerse yourself in natural green field, breath the fresh air and relax in the calm atmosphere.
- Experience the authentic Vietnamese
Staying in this area mean you can see the real life of locals who have lived here for generations. Wander around the green herb squares and observe how the warm-hearted farmers work. All people here is friendly and they do not feel bothered if you would like to talk to them, or even help them some simple daily work as an interested experience. Additionally, taking one of the traditional round coconut boats out to see the water coconut farms, Watching local fishers cast their nets to get fresh shrimp and fish is an exceptional idea
- Ride through mazes of rice paddies
The lifestyle here is quiet, so you can enjoy riding through the maze of rice paddies. All hotel or homestay in this area provide bicycles for their guests